All Public Schools Branch (PSB) weather-related cancellations will be announced on local radio stations and posted on the PSB website by 7:00 am an announcement that “all classes in the public schools branch are cancelled” means that there is no school for students. An announcement of a “system-wide shutdown” indicates that all schools and offices are closed. In some instances it may only be necessary to close an individual school or a Family of Schools. Partial system closures or delays will be announced by Family of Schools.
If a decision on cancellation cannot be made by 7:00 am, a one-hour delay will be announced whereby all schools and buses will operate one hour later than usual. A further announcement will be broadcast by 8:00 am.
In some instances, even in fine weather, buses may be delayed. Parents will be notified via radio broadcast that a bus will be delayed (i.e. Bus #297 is running 30 minutes late).
School closures during the day
It may be necessary to close school partway through a school day. Detailed announcements will be made on local radio stations and posted to the PSB website as early as possible.
Parents who will not be at home when children arrive are responsible for making alternate arrangements for the care of their children on such days. If you have not done so already, please notify the school of these arrangements as soon as possible.
Extreme weather during the school day
Should the department of transportation and/or the RCMP recommend that school buses remain off island roads, students may be required to remain at school beyond their normal dismissal time (unless picked up by a parent or designate). Announcements will be made on local radio stations and posted to our website.
On days when classes are in session, and the low temperature combined with wind provides a wind chill of -20 or below, students will not be required to go outside at recess or lunch, or remain outside upon morning arrival.
Suggestions for parents
- The final decision to attend school or to travel to school via school bus always rests with the parent.
- Please do not drop children off at school unless you are certain that school is operating that day and that staff are present to supervise the children.
- Please listen to the radio and check the PSB website frequently between 6:30 and 8:00 am daily to determine if schools are operating. Every effort will be made to have announcements broadcast by 7:00 am.
- Please do not call the school, PSB office, or radio stations for information on cancellations or delays. Such calls tie up telephone lines which may be needed for emergency use.
Thank you for your support. Together we will work to ensure a safe winter for all of our children.
- Environment Canada’s Weather Forecast for Charlottetown, St. Peter’s Bay, East Point, Maple Plains, North Cape and Summerside
- PEI Road Conditions
- PEI Government Storm Closures or Delays (A notification/link will appear on the Government home page when there are workplace closures.)
- CBC PEI’s Storm Centre
- Ocean 100 and Hot 105.5 Storm Centres
- CFCY Storm Watch
The full School Cancellations Procedure can be found in the Operational Policies, Procedures and Guidelines section of this website.