News & Updates
PSB Review of Schools Study Report
Message from Board Chair Heather Mullen and Vice-Chair Stephanie Arnold
Over the past number of years, student enrollment in several schools has continued to increase causing pressure on the school’s functional capacity impacting the facility, available space for teaching and learning, program offerings, delivery of key services, etc.
At the April 4, 2023 public meeting, Director Norbert Carpenter provided the Board of Trustees with the Review of Schools Study Report. Director Carpenter reviewed the latest report and recommendations involving five PSB schools. The schools outlined in the report are Birchwood Intermediate, Queen Charlotte Intermediate, Stonepark Intermediate, East Wiltshire Intermediate and Bloomfield Elementary.
We encourage members of the public and school communities to provide feedback on the study report to your local Trustee and/or to email@example.com Input will be received from Thursday, April 6 to Saturday, May 6, 2023.
The Board of Trustees also invites members of the public and school communities to attend virtual public engagement sessions. Sessions are scheduled to take place on Monday, April 24 and Wednesday, April 26.
The session for the Charlottetown Family of Schools will be held on Monday, April 24, 2023 at 6:00 p.m. To join the Charlottetown Family of Schools session click the link below
The session for the Westisle Family of Schools will be held on Wednesday, April 26, 2023 at 6:00 p.m. To join the Westisle Family of Schools session click the link below
Public Schools Branch Newly Elected Board of Trustees
Stratford, Prince Edward Island – Norbert Carpenter, Director of the Public Schools Branch issued the following statement on the swearing-in of school board trustees:
“I look forward to working with the new board and appreciate the oversight and support they will provide to the Public Schools Branch, students and the families they serve. They will work together to ensure students have the educational environment, support and services they need to succeed.
Meeting with this group on numerous occasions, our trustees have bold visions for the future of our education system and are ready to participate to help ensure that our Island communities have a voice and that PSB policies evolve to meet the needs of our learners.
The newly elected Board of Trustees hosted their first public meeting on January 26, 2023, where Trustees signed their official Oath of Office and elected Heather Mullen as Chair of the PSB Board of Trustees and Stephanie Arnold as Vice-Chair. Joining Heather and Stephanie are nine other trustees from across the province. “I would like to commend all trustees who have stepped forward to serve their communities and look forward to collaboratively working with them to achieve the best learning environments for Island students.”
2023-2024 Late French Immersion Information Sessions
Please note that the deadline for registration is Friday, March 17, 2023. Registration forms are available at your school.
Public Schools Branch Review of Schools Report
Director Carpenter presented his Review of Schools Report to the Board of Directors at the November 16, 2022 public meeting. The five schools included in the report are Birchwood Intermediate, Queen Charlotte Intermediate, Stonepark Intermediate, East Wiltshire Intermediate and Bloomfield Elementary.
Kindergarten Registration 2023-2024
Parents are asked to register their children for Kindergarten prior to or during
the week of November 16-25, 2022.
- Children must be 5 years old by December 31, 2023, in order to be eligible for Kindergarten.
- Parents are asked to register their child at their local elementary school during school hours. If you are unsure of your school zone, please call the Stratford Office at (902) 368-6990 or Summerside Office at (902) 888-8400 or toll-free at 1-800-280-7965.
- A registration form will be completed at the time of registration.
- Parents are reminded to bring a piece of Government issued ID verifying proof of child’s age, such as a birth Certificate, PEI health card or passport.
- Verification of home address must also be provided, such as a current utility bill.
- Welcome to Kindergarten sessions for incoming students and their parents will be held at schools in the spring of 2023.
For the Early French Immersion Program registration, please refer to the following:
Bluefield Family: Central Queens, Englewood, Gulf Shore, and Westwood: Contact Westwood Primary
- LM Montgomery, Sherwood, and the Brackley & Brackley Beach portions of Parkdale: Contact Sherwood Elementary
- Glen Stewart and Donagh: Contact Glen Stewart Primary
- Spring Park and West Royalty: Contact Spring Park Elementary
- Prince Street, St. Jean, West Kent, and the downtown portion of Parkdale: Contact West Kent Elementary
Kensington Family: Queen Elizabeth: Contact Parkside Elementary.
Kinkora Family: Amherst Cove and Somerset: Contact Parkside Elementary.
Student transportation to and from school is the responsibility of the parent.
Montague Family: Belfast, Cardigan, Georgetown, Montague Consolidated, Southern Kings, and Vernon River: Contact Montague Consolidated.
Morell Family: Morell Consolidated and Mount Stewart may register at Westwood Primary, Sherwood Elementary, Glen Stewart Primary, Spring Park Elementary, West Kent Elementary or Montague Consolidated. A parent can register their student in Early French Immersion at a school of their choice, subject to PSB approval. Student transportation to and from school is the responsibility of the parent.
Souris Family: Souris Regional may register at Westwood Primary, Sherwood Elementary, Glen Stewart Primary, Spring Park Elementary, West Kent Elementary, or Montague Consolidated. A parent can register their student in Early French Immersion at a school of their choice, subject to PSB approval. Student transportation to and from school is the responsibility of the parent.
Three Oaks Family:
- Athena and Elm Street: Contact Elm Street Elementary
- Greenfield: Contact Greenfield Elementary
- Miscouche and Parkside: Contact Parkside Elementary
- Students in the Bloomfield, O’Leary, Ellerslie, Rosebank, Brooklyn and Cascumpec communities of Alberton area: Contact Bloomfield Elementary
- Students in the St. Louis area and all areas of Alberton except for Brooklyn and Rosebank and Cascumpec: Contact St. Louis Elementary
Tignish Family: Contact Tignish Elementary